She sent me a text today. “Could you pick up a new router after work?”
My initial thoughts: What the hell is she doing using my router?! That thing is three and a half horsepower! She destroyed something – guaranteed. And what the hell did she do to it that would require my getting a new one?
And then: Wireless router… Ours died… We need a new one.
Point being: Specify – especially when speaking to the man in your life.
This is Palm Heart Ceviche. As in hearts of palm. As in no seafood. Veggie-friendly. Which, admittedly, may actually disqualify it from being a “ceviche” in the first place. No matter – I’m going to name things how I name them around here.
For whatever reason more and more meals around our home are becoming meat-free. I like hearts of palm here because they bite like a shrimp or scallop and when sliced almost look like little calamari rings. Plus, they can hold up to this ceviche’s lime juice just fine.
Oh, and they’re delicious… which is nice.
Palm Heart Ceviche
Makes a big ‘ole bowl.
- 1 12oz can hearts of palm, sliced ~1/4 inch
- 1 carton of cherry tomatoes, halved (or 2-3 roma tomatoes, dice)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 1 orange, juice
- 1-2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 splash apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 good glugs olive oil
- 1/2 shot of tequila (ssshhh!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients less the avocado. Season well with salt and pepper. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, fold in the avocado.
- Serve with good tortilla chips. And beers.