I had a dream a couple nights ago, which for me, was strange – I rarely dream.
I dreamt that I owned a little sandwich shop. Must be all this taking-photos-of-food stuff.
In my dream, at my sandwich shop, we served $1 breakfast burritos, and $2 bottled beers. The day’s sports played behind the counter, and my friends always ate for free. Attached next-door there was a struggling bicycle repair shop.
In my dream we cured our own meats, baked our own breads, jarred our own sauerkraut, and ground our own mustard. All that fare was for sale, too – if you knew who to ask. We wrapped our sandwiches in yesterday’s news. The whole place smelled like coffee, pastrami, and bike-chain lubricant. Zeus raided the lowest storage shelves. The mini-meatball sub looked pretty decent.
And, at my sandwich shop, we served salads – because, it seemed, massive sandwiches didn’t appeal to everyone. (Weird, I know.) The regulars – few that there were – proclaimed this kale and quinoa concoction to be the best thing on the menu. Kale, quinoa, grapes, Parmigiano, and my roasted Meyer lemon vinaigrette. It was oddly simple, but the folks who were in after their morning ride, before their evening game, or just because seemed to dig it.
Then I woke up.
I made breakfast – Zeus raided the cabinets. The house smelled like coffee and the garage like bike-chain oil. The day’s games played in the background all afternoon. And I made this salad, just because. It was a good day.
I fell asleep that night hoping to return to my little, struggling sandwich shop. But no such luck. Figures. Like I said – I rarely dream.
Kale and Quinoa Salad
Serves 4, as a side (or 2, as a main)
- 1 small bunch (6-7 leaves) of kale or red kale (shown), rinsed
- 1 cup cooked, red quinoa (~1/4 cup, uncooked)
- 1 cup small, purple grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1 recipe Roasted Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
- Coarsely cracked black pepper
- Trim the stems from the kale, and slice the leaves into thin, confetti-like strips
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.
- In a large bowl, mix together the kale, quinoa, grapes, and cheese.
- Dress with the vinaigrette, add a few grinds of the black pepper, and toss to coat.